For the Sticky sauce
1 bottle of tomato sauce
6 crushed garlic cloves
2 large onions chopped
1 red chilli finely chopped
1 green chilli chopped
3 tbsp. Olive Oil
135g/5 oz of soft brown sugar
135ml/5 fl oz dark soy sauce
2 tsp of crushed fennel seeds.
For Poaching the ribs
2 small onions chopped
3 cloves of garlic chopped
1 tsp black peppercorns
1.2kg/2ib 10oz British meaty pork spare ribs
Pre Heat the oven to 180c/Gas 4
1. Into a large sauce pan of boiling water place the ribs, 2 small chopped onions, 3 cloves of chopped garlic and peppercorns . simmer this for about 50 minutes or until the ribs are tender.
2. Fry the onions in the olive oil along with the garlic and fennel seeds.
3. when the onions are soft add the chillies and brown sugar and cook until the sugar has melted.
4. Add the soy sauce and tomato sauce and cook until it thickens.
5.Remove the ribs from the water and place in a large baking tray, cover them with the sticky sauce.
6. Place them In the oven and roast for 15 minutes.
Serve with potato wedges, sour cream some of the sticky sauce and a home made salsa.
Courtesy of the Bates Home Kitchen